1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha begins -- NCAA baseball tourney field announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, May 26, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

True, although it was interesting to see ESPN not even have a logo for them when they did the selection show.

-------------

Bethune-Cookman was tailor-made for that exception, shottie. They won't win the regional, of course, but they've already faced Miami twice at Coral Gables (lost 10-5 and 7-6) and only used Hiram Burgos (nation-leading 1.20 ERA) for one-third of an inning.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sam Houston State played very well in the Southland Conference tournament and capitalizes with RISP. The Bearkats can make some noise if their pitching is the same as in the SLC tournament.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They've been D-I for about three years and they're an independent so that doesn't surprise me.

I didn't realize that it's been about 15 years since an independent team received an at-large bid though. Read that today.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

With Texas and Rice in that regional? Bet not. :)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Having seen them play three times this season, the Longhorns didn't impress me. Rice, on the other hand, is a quality team, like always. Sam Houston State may not get out of there, but it should make it interesting (win a few games).

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And while I backed off some on Dallas Baptist, I'm not going to put tooooo much stock in an at-large independent here.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FWIW, they did beat Rice twice this season and took one of three from Texas A&M. One of the A&M losses was a 5-4 game.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You often have situations, though, where a three-game series with Rice is DBU's chance to make a name for themselves, and they know it. To Rice, it's a three-game nonconference series against an independent. Who's throwing their 1-2-3 starters, and who's throwing their 4-5-6?

You get to the tournament, that edge is minimalized, because even the powers know there's no tomorrow.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A&M, Houston and UIC is a Charmin-soft region. DBU is a 2 seed for a reason. They can play.

10. Rumpleforeskin

I can't seem to understand A&M's downfall this year. The Aggies played very, very well last year. Stouffer should have gone pro when he had the chance.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Their two wins over Rice were both midweek games, so I'm sure DBU didn't face their top pitchers. I would think playing a team like A&M in a three-game series (which they did) is different, though, because A&M's coaches wouldn't want to screw up the rotation.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Georgia loses to Lipscomb, Florida to Tulane in their openers. Throw in Ole Miss, and it's not shaping up as a good day for the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted