1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riverfront Times loses All-Star, Cardinals credentials for publishing addresses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 16, 2009.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Riverfront Times in St. Louis put together a special section for the All-Star Game, and in it published where some former and current Cardinals (including Albert Pujols) live in the city.

Cardinals yank the publication's credentials for the rest of the season and has MLB pull the credentials for the All-Star Game.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2009/07/dont_blame_pujols_editor_apologizes_caused_all_star_meltdown_embarrassed_national_league.php

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Silly move by the Riverfront Times, although the editor has a good point about the public access of the addresses.

But overall, the column sucked. Pujols didn't play well because his address was published? Really?

A simple straightforward explanation would have sufficed, with the point that the addresses are public record.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Riverfront Times loses All-Star, Cardinals credentials for publishing addres

Fortunately for the douche who wrote that column, access to Cards' games is not needed for snarky columns or searching the auditor's site.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who cares if an alt weekly has credentials revoked. They only come for the pop anyway.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think he was being fecicious. He doesn't actually think publishing the address made Pujols play poorly, he's mocking that the Cardinals' reaction to it makes it seem like an issue serious enough to make him play poorly

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, right. Next you'll be telling us that Gulliver never actually visited Lilliput and Johnathan Swift was just pissed at King George.

7. was not the 13th consecutive year the AL defeated the NL

i recall a tie in there in 2002

Did you watch it? In case you didn't, the National League lost 4-3, marking the thirteenth consecutive year the American League defeated the NL in the most venerable all-star contest in all of professional sports.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Dumb move by the paper, should have known there would be some type of repercussion.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Riverfront Times loses All-Star, Cardinals credentials for publishing addres

Maybe I didn't look closely enough, but I pulled up the article and while it looks like they placed a number on a map of St. Louis that indicated where the player lived, they didn't actually list the address.

If I'm right, this would tell you the general neighborhood where the player lives but not the actual address.

That doesn't seem like too big a deal to me.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Love the second comment — posting the address of the guy who wrote the column.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This was pretty bad on its face, but since anybody who wanted to -- I did -- was one link removed from doing it themselves, I really don't know how mad I can be about it. Wasn't great, but there the information is if you put it into the search window.

12. dob23

dob23 New Member

Actually have a copy of the section that I picked up outside of FanFest on Friday. Addresses for Buck, Pujols, Hrabosky, Musial, Herzog, Carpenter, Wainwright, Brock and Ozzie are listed. Gives you everything but a zip code.

Nothing to gain from publishing that info, even though it's public information.

Draft saved Draft deleted