1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera to Yanks: bring back Torre or else.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rhoden to Yanks: Hire Dusty Baker

Rhoden scribbled:
    How predictably biased & stupid. If you think Joe Torre couldn't manage a pitching staff, Dusty Baker would kill one, especially a young one like the Yanks. With Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain, the Yankees shouldn't let Dusty Baker buy a ticket to a game, let alone have any authority. If Rivera comes back, the last thing the Yankees needs is Moron Baker warming him up 2 times in the 7th and 8th innings and then bringing him, tomorrow.

Yankees fans dont care about color, they care about wins and rings and they aren't always right. They thought Torre's hiring was stupid, and at the time, they weren't far off. Torre proved he was capable of change and self awareness. Dusty doesn't seem to have that level of introspection. Yankee fans were right about Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps.

Dusty Baker in the Bronx? Biggest Fucking Mistake since Ed Whitson.

Sorry Billy, find another black guy to advocate for, but if you think Dusty Baker is an improvement over Joe Torre, you'd probably promote Al Sharpton for the next Nobel Peace Prize.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/13/sports/baseball/13rhoden.html?n=Top/News/Sports/Columns/William%20C%20Rhoden

BTW Baker didn't manage Bonds, Bonds managed Baker.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Rhoden to Yanks: Hire Dusty Baker

Did Rhoden see any of the Cubs games that Dusty managed in the four years Baker was there?

Hiring Dusty to manage the Yankees is comparable to if Kentucky Basketball hiring Steve Alford.

Asinine and absolutely the most dumbass reccomendation since Steve Pederson brought Bill Callahan to Lincoln.

"Sucessfully managed" Barry Bonds? What the fuck are you talking about, Bill? Dusty let Barry do whatever the hell he wanted and pleased. Translation = free reign in the locker room. Barry was just hitting his peak, albeit, with some medicinal "help".

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sure, why the hell not?

Just trade Joba for Glavine while you are at it.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Other than not having a clue about how to handle pitching, I think Dusty's a pretty good in-game manager.

Torre has a clue how to handle pitching -- he just doesn't ever trust a pitcher.

Sign of an old-time slugger. Ted Williams managed the same way. So did Frank Robby.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So, 'yab, which black managers would you consider qualified to manage the Yankees?

(crickets)

6. 93Devil

Randolph
    There must be someone in the minors
    Shit, I'd take Tony Gwynn over Baker.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To clarify, I was addressing heyabbott specifically, and believing he won't consider a black qualified for the job.

8. 93Devil

I know Dooley, but to be honest, I could not think of many.

How many can you name?

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh, believe me dooley, there are a good number of blacks who are qualified for the NYY job.

Dusty doesn't qualify because he is a two-time loser (retread) as a manager. :-*

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Maybe Dusty will bring along Zeke once the Knicks release him.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I have no idea. But given the makeup of rosters these days, I'd be apt to look for someone who could speak both spanish and english. This would rule out Dusty, twice.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Actually Dusty speaks fluent Spanish. I dig his English too, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted