1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera to Yanks: bring back Torre or else.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The report on Joba is that he has 4 pitches, fastball/change/curve/slider, but really only used 2 as a releiver. 27 walks and 136 K's in the minors shows a very good level of control for a pitcher who hits the mid 90's and better, regularly.

He threw about 115 innings this year, minors & majors and in 2005 threw 118 in college.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

That's informative; thanks. Sounds like Joba is about a year ahead of Morrow, who came to the M's straight out of Cal.

Morrow, of course, throws in the high 90's as well.

If Chamberlain keeps himself in pitching shape--whatever that is, CC seems to do OK--he should be good for many years.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Really? Morrow gave up 2 runs in two of his first four appearances and gave up hits in each
    of his first six appearances. Chamberlain gave up five hits and no runs in his first 10 appearances.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

In his first two months/17 games, Morrow pitched 20 innings, gave up twelve hits and four runs, and struck out 21. That was the period I had in mind, and it looks even better with your point about his first four appearances.

Admittedly, I'm no stats maven. I was working off observation. I would say, Morrow at no point used his breaking/offspeed stuff as well as Chamberlain did, but had a more explosive fastball.

I didn't intend to make it a contest. My question had to do with how long it might take for these two good young pitchers to convert back to starting, comparatively. Looks like Chamberlain is about a year ahead of Morrow. And, Morrow has diabetes. Time will tell.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I had the mindset of King George when Mariano said that, I'd probably say -- publicly -- "don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you." Rivera's skills are in serious decline. It's not like he's a lights-out closer anymore.

Now, if Derek Jeter said "bring back Torre or else," I don't think even George the Egotistical would be able to just blow him off.

If Torre goes, I have a feeling the Bronx will have their own epic Curse to deal with.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ian O'Connor of the Bergen Record had an outstanding piece today on the subject, including tweaking Captain Patton and ARod.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a very good read. Jeter would never take a stand like that in a million years.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Eyewitness News has new info

(Bronx - WABC, October 12, 2007) - Eyewitness News has new developments to report about the future of Yankees manager Joe Torre. George Steinbrenner said he'd likely fire Torre if the team lost in the playoffs.
    It appears that the tide is beginning to turn for Yankees manager Joe Torre. Eyewitness News has learned from organizational sources that Torre will probably be asked back to manage the Yankees again.

Our Scott Clark has more on what he's learned.

Joe Torre has led the yankees to the play-offs in each of his twelve seasons as the Yankees manager. That tenure includes six trips to the World Series, and four world championships. But the Yankees haven't won it all in seven years, and they've been first round losers the past three years.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner had issued an ultimatum last week when the Yankees were down 0-2 in their best of three division series with the indians. And we quote:

"His job is on the line. I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

But that was six days ago, and even though the Yankees lost the series to the Indians, three games to two, the latest word out of the Yankees camp is that Torre is now gaining favor for a return.

Torre's players have been rallying around their manager all week.

Remember, the boss did leave a little wiggle room when he made his ultimatum and that space is apparently being worked on.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Interesting new info, indeed.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What did Ortiz say to back Torre? Was there a story recently I missed?

11. cjericho

Maybe, "I get clutch hits, unlike your big guys."

12. cjericho

Chamberlain appeared in 19 games -- 24 inn 1 er, 12 h, 6 bb, 34 k
    i think the Mariners rushed Morrow a little, but he is good. Chamberlain
    came up quickly also, but dominated in the Minors from April-Aug.

Draft saved Draft deleted