1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera to Yanks: bring back Torre or else.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When Torre goes bye-bye, it's all dependent on whom the Yanks bring in as manager. If it's not someone they players like or can agree on, there's a real possibility that Posada, Rivera, Pettitte and ARod--well, Rodriguez is going to opt out of his contract and sign an epic deal with the Cubs, anyway--all leave the South Bronx.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

To
    To enlarge on the "final year" point: it ensures full attendance for the next two years, I'll bet. 'I was there in the final year'...'I was there in the first year.'

The Yankees will be a team in transition next year; it's just a question of what the changes will be, and who they're able to buy. Makes for an interesting hot stove season.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny how there haven't been any Reyes for Santana rumors in New York.

Other than that, absolutely nothing new in the Steinbrenner-Torre part of the column

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Player: "I'm so sad Joe is gone! I'm so mad at the Yankees! This is going to influence my decision!"
    Yankees: "We'll give you one more dollar than whomever is the highest bidder."
    Player: "Where do I sign?"

What a crock of shit. People really fall for this?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

When's the last time you verbally stuck it to your boss?

I'm guessing 2 years, 25 Million with or without Torre. To be fair to Rivera, it sounds like he was just responding to questions, not issuing an ultimatum.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Other than A-Rod, nobody is going to give those guys the money the Yankees might offer them.
    At that point (ka-ching - aging guys worrying about that last big payday, like they haven't made enough already to take care of generations), yours truly could manage the Yankees and they'd sign up toot sweet anyway.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'm amazed by how much the media can talk about this subject when the LCS is about to start. I'm interested in seeing who becomes champion. Crazy, I know. All this bullshit is going to take weeks to sort out and all this scrutiny and speculation is a waste of time.

9. Wow.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Would Torre even agree to just a 1-year deal?

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah just like Pettitte got more from the Astros than Yankees
    offered.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would guess that he would, but there's no way to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted