1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera to Yanks: bring back Torre or else.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think the momentum just swung back in Torre's favor. Does anyone in the Yankees organ-eye-zation think they can withstand the guaranteed departures of both Torre AND Rivera on bad terms? The decision should be an even bigger no-brainer now: Torre comes back for one more year to close out The House that Ruth Built.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3057292

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

And now coming in from the bullpen to pitch the ninth inning for the Yankees, Joba Chamberlain.

Somehow I don't think an ulimatum from a player is going to get it done. That might kinda, sorta set a bad precedent, even if it is Mariano Rivera. If Jeter demanded a trade, maybe.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Well, he didn't quite say bring Torre back or else, but yeah, it does make things more interesting.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The Yankees would do fine on the field sans Rivera. Chamberlain has all the earmarkings of the next great closer. But the outcry from the fans would be so loud and fierce that the WFAN switchboard would get fried and the roar could be heard from Boston to Chicago.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What's your point?

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Jeter said all the right things in his postgame comments about Torre, but I'm just waiting for him to say that firing Torre is wrong.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You know he won't. Captain Playitdownthemiddle never would do that.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I know, but it would be nice to see him verbally stick it to Steinbrenner.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jeter's too big a pussy to stick it to anybody.

And Torre is done no matter what the players say, think or do.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

You'll be waiting for a while to hear Jeter say that firing Torre is wrong since his contract is up, but your point is taken.

Speaking of points, Clever, my point is that the Yankees will take a gigantic PR hit if Torre & Rivera leave NY on bad terms. Eventually, everyone goes, but with figures like Joe & Mo (couldn't help myself), you would like to see them go out on their own terms, rather than being kicked to the curb. I know more than a few people that have said they would not renew their season ticket plans if Torre was cast aside and Rivera left because of that. As for me, I would see myself becoming less of a Yankees fan, as well.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Right...and those people still will watch YES, and YES still will be worth $1 billion. And they'll still draw 3 million or more next year.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Touche.

Draft saved Draft deleted