1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera Out as Bears' DC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Re: Rivera Out as Bears' DC?

Well, at least they're not bringing Vince Tobin back.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lovey feeling a little threatened by Rivera?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I trust Smith is doing the right thing. Of course, Rivera also looks to be the SB scapegoat, and perhaps rightfully so. I don't mind losing Rivera because this makes it easier for the Bears to give Lovie a new deal. If it's between the two, I'd rather see Rivera go.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe Rivera will go to work for ESPN this year.

6. Re: Rivera Out as Bears' DC?

Many in NFL circles believe Ron Rivera is highly overrated. And it doesn't seem like that might be far off considering that he has now interviewed for nine head coaching jobs and landed none. That is Lovie's defense. They run his system and it's players he put in place (for the most part). A lot of the people in Chicago say they'd be worse off losing Ron Turner as OC because they don't have a real offensive mind there other than him. Rivera can easily be replaced by Bob Babich, who is a good guy and has a good understanding of what Lovie wants to do schematically.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was out of a job, but not for long. Just hours after the Bears announced Monday he wouldn't be retained, the San Diego Chargers gave him a two-year contract to coach their linebackers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070220/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_bears_rivera_4

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Still, if Smith considers Rivera a scapegoat, how many interceptions did he throw in the Super Bowl?

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like Rivera got Ned Beattyed or Ving Rhamesed.
    If there were performance issues, the Bears could've given him the gate last week. Instead, they wait until all the head coaching AND coordinator jobs are filled, because Lovie fears Rivera might come back to haunt him?
    Reminiscent of the way the Bruins boned Mike Sullivan by firing him at the end of June, keeping him dangling for 2 1/2 months and ensuring all the other open NHL head coaching jobs were filled. One can argue the same thing was done to Marty Schottenheimer. too, ensuring he won't be a head coach this year.

10. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

the one thing i don't understand, no matter how bad rivera is, he is still a genius compared to his likely replacement: bob babich.

i want to know who in the bears' organization babich has pictures of doing dirty things to small children. he was a flop as a head coach at a div 2 school in north dakota and that somehow made him a great candidate to coach linebackers at the pro level. and now potentially a d-coordinator?

why can't i suck and be promoted repeatedly?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I still can't figure out how Rivera goes from a head coach contender to a demoted LB coach. Were his interviews with those 9 teams that bad? Was he really not responsible for anything the Bears did this year? This is mind boggling to me.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. OK, so he couldn't stay in Chicago once they let him go. But isn't there someone who still needs a defensive coordinator who's thought to be a head coach sooner than later?

Draft saved Draft deleted