1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com: This is why it's tough to take you guys seriously

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Or in the case of at least one I know of, they just make up news and/or post rumors as fact.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

It is instructive, as you move around, to read copy at former stops. What seemed fine at the time often comes across as boosterish and narrowly focused. Generally not as bad as rivals.com pablum, but homerific nonetheless.

3. BCL

BCL New Member

I think the initial poster of this thread is guilty of the fallacy of a hasty generalization. Just because one writer of one website on the Rivals network is homerish, it doesn't mean that the whole network should be discredited. I guess because Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom mail their columns in that all columnists mail their columns in. See how this type of logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I always have believed the if we are not going to have a playoff system that the coaches poll should decide the national championship and some other b.s poll decided the runner up games. Who really knows the game better then Coaches ? Certainly not biased sports writers.

6. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

<Pete Bell>There was an alleged incident that you invented, in the same way that if I assert you sleep with sheep, it's alleged you sleep with sheep. <Pete Bell>

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Should garbage collectors in Ohio decide?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know that the rivals guy on my beat is a complete fucktard with no knowledge of journalism, x's and o's, or common sense for that matter. It's amazing the number of cliches he can pack into a 15 inch recruiting update on Bobby Ballhog.

And no, I don't cover Michigan.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You mean like IndiansNetwork?

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but can they fill out their ballots?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2575661&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

and coaches wouldn't be biased a bit... no, not at all.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was confused as to how this fitted into the thread at hand. But then I noticed it was idiotsnetwork that posted it, and everything became clear.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rivals.com? Isn't this some type of network of poorly paid freelancers/fans/bloggers? Writing is a lot like every other profession in that you get what you pay for.

Draft saved Draft deleted