1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com national college football editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Rivals.com is looking though resumes and should be setting up candidate interviews next week if I got my info from the right source.

Now regarding all the responses this topic has gotten about OT and other pay issues. If you want to continue to grow in the business you have to take crap from upper management. If its at rivals or a newspaper you will never be happy if you don't dedicate some of your free time to doing work.

Being a beat reporter, I learned that it does not matter if your paper and or website is not paying for you to work 50 hours. Sometimes you have to give 50 hours to get a few stories that you will be proud of and that will get you that job doing coverage of a Professional beat.

So many journalists think that they can come straight out of J-School and cover the NFL for 75.000 dollars a year. Most of you on here know that is a bag full of bull shit and if Rivals.com wants to give someone a shot let them have it and if they leave in 6 months they should leave for the better.

Maybe I am stupid but I would take this job in a heart beat.

So whoever if anyone here takes this job good luck in the future at Rivals and any other publication or media outlet you end up working at.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

That's a straw man argument if I ever heard one.

Not everyone thinks that, nor should they. But they shouldn't expect to get peanuts for working hard for the love of the game, while management grows rich.

That being said, it's supply and demand. As long as people think this is the end-all, be-all profession, we'll all continue to get f#$$ed.

3. mesoanarchy

mesoanarchy New Member

They really want someone on the cheap, especially since they just got snapped up by, ummmm, AOL, I think for many millions!.... what a bunch of jerks!

4. I read yahoo sports is about to buy rivals for $100 million. Or maybe not. Go check out the journalism board. Fox bought scout for about $60 mil in '05. Some one says yahoo is grossly overpaying (maybe double what rivals is worth).

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-yahoo-close-to-acquiring-rivalscom-price-could-reach-nine-figures

Draft saved Draft deleted