1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com national college football editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, Tom, I've been in this business longer than Cayman and I'd say that's the best advice I've heard. I wish I'd married money.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Me too. Hit the deck! (ducks)

3. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Nah, no fight -- verbal or otherwise. At my age, my best fightin' days are a distant memory. And let me clarify, Tom. Through a combination of fortunate breaks and a bit of hard work, I've managed to carve out a decent career in this industry. Never reached what I would term the big time, but have worked for some respectable publications. That's all I was really trying to say.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I would put forth that worse than taking a job for less pay than is merited, sports writers working more than 40 hours a week without compensation is worse for the business. If more people were allowed to put down OT, the pay would be higher or departments would be forced to hire additional people, which would create more openings.

I know union shops and other papers are different, but at my last place, putting down more than 40 hours was a huge friggin' deal that caused a sit down with your boss and a long explanation.

Just a thought.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, i thanked jesus and yawn today for the opportunity to even post a reply on the same thread as you. you're so fucking successful ... thank you, thank you, thank you ... or, fuck off.

hell, i don't know. i'm not quite for sure which one. you figure it out new york times editor.

6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

You seem very mature, Tom.

Get well soon.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We are constantly reminded that there is no overtime, ever. That's how it has been at each of my first two papers. I have been in this business for 5 years and have never received overtime and I have had to do my share of 55-60 hour work weeks.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You should take comp days then if you get no OT. I was at a paper like that a few years back. Worked 65-70 hours during race week and took a few extra days off over the next couple weeks. Trick of the trade.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Doesn't work for everybody. Plenty of places are short-staffed enough -- or afflicted with enough lazy, worthless staffers -- that every week feels like a race week.

Can I assume from the ongoing threadjack that nobody has any news about this opening?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You didn't hear? You're hired!!!!

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Oh, sweet!

(Damn it, I walked right into that one.)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you seem like a dick. good to meet you.

Draft saved Draft deleted