1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com national college football editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. JME

JME Member

Considering its basically the top job in the entire editorial ladder of a huge network of sites, and undoubtedly requires a very heavy work load, yes, that is pretty bad if you ask me.

And this is coming from a newspaper guy who now makes a good chunk of his income from Scout.com.

2. JME

JME Member

I think that was his point -- it's all relative.

3. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

We've sold ourselves short way too long just to get the honor of working in and covering sports.
    [/quote]

Amen to that, brother!

4. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

It's supply and demand, brothers. Each year every college in the country with a journalism program churns out fresh recruits. As much as we'd prefer to believe that what we do is "special" or that talent always rises to the top, there are too many examples out there that prove otherwise. Best bet: Marry money.

5. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

I was up for a job a year ago and looking back, I am thankful I didn't get it. I actually got interviewed twice and they set up a third interview to bring me into Nashville. At the last moment the interview was cancelled. Two weeks later, some kid fresh out of college took the post. I guess I asked for too much money, but a friend, who had the job before I did, said it wasn't worth the money they paid him. That made me up my offer and probably kept them from hiring me.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Welcome to corporate America, bud.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I had a few interviews with Rivals pretty recently. Two phone interviews, one informal that lasted about 30 minutes and a teleconference interview with the boss that last about 15. They really seemed like they were interested up until they asked what I was making where I currently am. I embelished a little, but not much. A week later I got an email saying I didn't make the final two. From reading the posts here that sounds like a good thing.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

spoken like a true college boy.

9. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

College boy with 15-plus years in the business, my friend. Newspapers, magazines and a wire service.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, doubt it.

11. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Doubt it all you want. My experience and resume tell the story. Don't take your shortcomings out on those of us who've managed to succeed in ths business.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Uh-oh, I sense a fight a brewin'

Draft saved Draft deleted