1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com national college football editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Nashville is not that expensive. 44-48 can go relatively far.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The question is -- and I wonder if we have any Rivals.com folks around here who could answer it -- how many people are there with this title?

If this job is to be THE college football editor for Rivals.com -- a site that is, more or less, all about college football -- then $48K does seem a little low. But so does 2-4 years experience.

One thing's for sure: They're going to get a LOT of response for this one, including from some very talented people.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

But it's 44-48 for Tennessee. That sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially for someone like myself with 2-4 years experience.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My guess is you might not have to live in Nashville, either. I mean, if you have to keep tabs on USC, Florida, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oregon, Rutgers and Wyoming, you might be able to make your phone calls just as easily from Pocatello as you could Nashville.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Fuck that. This attitude is why it's impossible to get a good-paying job in this profession. Every kid is willing to take a job working for peanuts, undercutting the pay scale of the entire industry.

Mediocre students walk out of law school making that much reviewing documents all day long until their eyes glaze over in a corner office somewhere. Yet an assigning editor and manager of content at a major, major national online publication, perhaps the most ambitious online publication out there beyond ESPN, gets the same salary?

Again, fuck that. We've sold ourselves short way too long just to get the honor of working in and covering sports.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Dude it's for someone with two-four years of expeirence. What do you want them to offer someone with that background, six figures? I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have, but 44-48K for someone who's probably 24-27 sounds pretty reasonable for me in this line of work.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

For many professions (presuming this is one), 48K after four years is a reasonable expectation. That's far from the norm in journalism, and as the dissemination of information flattens, that will not change.

8. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

One word for Rivals:

Sleazy.

Stay far, far away.

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

From a former employee...

DON'T WORK FOR RIVALS.COM

This company hires and fires like it's nobody's business. They want to make money and if they can find someone to do your job for less money, they'll do it.

They fired a guy who had been with the company since it was pulled out of bankruptcy the DAY HE GOT BACK FROM HIS HONEYMOON. How cruel is that?

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Sounds like we could trade stories, G.

11. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

As another person with experience at Rivals: Stay far, far away. The sad thing is some young kid will jump at this job and will be out of a job in about a year or so when they can hire someone cheaper. Be prepared to get your ass chewed out by some of the biggest assholes out there but receive very little praise when you actually do something right.

12. WS

WS Member

amen. I went from harassing 17-year-olds and doing someone else's work to covering a mid-major. Happiest move I've ever made

I wouldn't ever recommend working there, or for scout. To each his own, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted