1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivals.com national college football editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Looks like a really interesting gig:

Date posted: 3/1/2007
    Organization: Rivals.com
    Job listing: National College Football Editor
    Information: Job Title: Rivals.com National College Football Editor

Salary range: $44,000-$48,000

Company Information: Rivals.com is the online leader for in-depth information, analysis and "scoop" in college and high school sports and recruiting. Rivals.com provides exclusive team-specific coverage, as well as the ultimate fan experience and community interaction from its more than 200-member team of experts, writers and reporters. We are one of the fastest growing online sports media companies on the Internet, with more than 180,000 subscribers and more than 2-million unique users monthly.

Job Description: Rivals.com is currently seeking a full time National College Football Editor to write, edit, plan, proofread, publish and copyedit a variety of articles. This Editor will work with staff, third-party content providers and content management tools to create the ultimate online destination for the hard-core college football and basketball recruiting fan. This position reports to the Managing Editor.

Primary Responsibilities:

■ Manage daily content flow; manage long-term content projects; manage work flow and output of writing staff; meet weekly and monthly editorial and production budgets

■ Create and execute new content ideas, sections, etc.

■ Make editorial decisions and production decisions for the college football channel page reporting to the Managing Editor

■ Integrate multimedia platforms, including text/html, audio and video, into the content plan of the site

■ Manage a web site and user experience that is tailored to and caters to the crazy and hyper-informed college football fan

■ Perform various other tasks as assigned

Job Qualifications:

■ Requires a bachelor's degree in a related area

■ 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area

■ Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the sports media field

■ A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required

■ Previous online experience a plus (web editor to general publishing and/or writing)

■ Strong editing skills; pinch-hitting writing skills; online community-building skills

■ Experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals

■ Strong computer skills: Microsoft Word, Photoshop and some HTML experience (advanced HTML preferred but not required)

■ Extreme college football and basketball fan – in many ways, this needs to be a dream job for you or please simply don't apply

Expectations:

■ Grow overall readership of national college football recruiting and basketball recruiting sections

■ Create and grow specific, content-differentiating segments for Rivals.com

■ Increase community participation on national college football recruiting and basketball recruiting sections

■ Increase user-satisfaction of national college football recruiting and basketball recruiting content

■ Will require some weekend and night duties to coincide with peak times of college football and basketball recruiting

Rivals.com offers competitive wages and excellent benefits. If you would like to be considered for this position and become a significant part of our accomplished TEAM, please respond with the position title, a cover letter, your resume and salary requirements to hr@rivals.com. EOE

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Manage a web site and user experience that is tailored to and caters to the crazy and hyper-informed college football fan."

The mind reels.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Seems like a good bit of work for the coin, though perhaps mid 40's goes further in Nashville than I reckon.

4. turnovers

turnovers Member

2-4 yrs experience for an editor? Those responsibilities sound hefty for someone two years out of college working a preps sports beat someplace.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Not really.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This job just screams, hate working at the Tennessean, now that Billy B is gone and this place still sucks?
    Come work for Rivals, you won't even have to move, but that just the impression I get.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

First thing I thought when I saw this was, $44,000-$48,000 for a national college football editor? I thought Rivals was doing a lot better than that.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they are but don't want to pass the success along to the help.

9. JME

JME Member

I'm shocked this pays so poorly.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah but you get free access to the site. That's $9.95/month right there.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

44-48K is poorly? Damn I want to see what sucks and what kicks ass to you!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's all relative. 44-48 for a prep writer in southern Georgia or West Virginia is a fucking gold mine. 44-48 for a pros writer in New York or Los Angeles is a fucking land mine. This job's pay is closer to the latter, unless this is a entry level-type job.

Draft saved Draft deleted