1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivalry Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Johnnies-Tommies?

Or does one of the teams have to win more than two games in 20 years for it to be heated?

I saw Gophers-Badgers mentioned. I'm sorry, but the Gophers of the last 40 years can not be anyone's rival, especially a team who has more fans than the Gophers do - in Minnesota's home stadium.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think a rivalry between neighboring states can reach the animosity level of an in-state blood feud. Having to live and work beside the enemy angries up the blood. And I say that as a Bama fan more emotionally invested in beating UT than winning the Iron Bowl.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Wabash-DePauw

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Ole Miss people look at LSU as THEIR top rival aside from MSU but I wouldn't say that reciprocates in Bayou country.
    Ask (and observe) LSU fans and I think you'll get the resounding feeling that Alabama is their top rival. That's the game they really get up for lots more than for Ole Miss or for the relatively new "Boot" game against Arkansas.

5. Devin

Devin Member

Grambling State-Southern

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Auburn-LSU was a bigger rivalry to LSU fans for years until Nick went to Bama. The Tide won too often in the series for it to be as good a rivalry as LSU-Ole Miss in the late 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s.

Ole Miss comes closest to being the biggest rival over multiple decades. Right now, it's Bama. From 2001-06, it was Auburn. For a stretch long ago, it was Tulane. So again, no true primary rival year in, year out.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How about Penn St/Pitt back in the day?

Pitt-West-by-God Virginia in the Backyard Brawl is pretty good.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ring that bell son! Ring it!

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

point; aqb.

And I can't freaking believe I forgot Auburn-Alabama; Texas/Texas A&M, Army/Navy when I started this thread.

Auburn/Alabama is something I even record every year, not for the game, but CBS has always done some incredible intros for The Iron Bowl.

I'm telling you, I would listen to Verne Lundquist read the dictionary.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The Kansas-Missouri rivalry has everything to do with being neighboring states and the history that goes along with it. KU/K-State never has and never will have the same intensity because it's just about sports. It's more like a sibling rivalry, but KU-Mizzou is pure hatred that stems for actual warring.

And you have plenty of KU and Mizzou people living and working beside each other in Kansas City.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They shouldn't do anything to change that game. I hate Jacksonville, but everything about that game is perfect. When you look down on the stadium and one half is one color and the other half is the other color, it's pretty fucking cool.

The only problem with that game is that it seems like playing 75 minutes from Gainesvegas is a bigger advantage for Florida than Georgia, which is at least 5-6 hours away and Florida gets a huge recruiting advantage by having a game there every year because some of those high schools in Jacksonville have crazy levels of talent.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, I should probably throw in Carleton-Macalester. When the trophy is something called The Book of Knowledge, you know it's a serious rivalry.

And St. John's still sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted