1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivalry Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be surprised if that happened. During the 1990s, Nebraska almost never played anyone decent in non-conference games.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You were right. They played in 1999 in Iowa City and in 2000 in Lincoln.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Kermit vs. all non soccer fans...

I will throw a lost rivalry out there. Penn State vs. Notre Dame....that used to shut down large sections of PA when I was kid in the 1980s and early 1990s. I remember regular fistfights about that game in my school.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

LSU's top rival changes. No true rival who considers LSU its main rival.

But Ole Miss is as close as it gets for spanning generations.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Did I miss it, or did no one mention Notre Dame vs. Miami, aka Catholics vs. Convicts? I know they haven't played each other in a regular season game since 1990, but they'll be playing again in 2012 and starting a yearly series back up a few years after that. It's hard to argue against it being the most compelling football rivalry (for athletic and sociological reasons) in the 1980s.

As a USC alum, I wouldn't put the USC/Notre Dame rivalry as a "heated" rivalry - at this point, it's one that's based on mutual respect and smugness. I would say there's more hatred in the UCLA rivalry (thanks largely to geographic), even if the Bruins' falling down the proverbial football well has sucked some of the starch out of that game as well.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Sporting a "Remember Quantrill" shirt and a "Burn-KU" license plate, Missouri fan Tom Mendenhall cheers on the Tigers in the first half of the KU-MU game [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Ohio-Ohio State.

But that was in trademark court.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think the festivities surrounding the Florida-Georgia game are the best of all rivalries. Now if they could just move the game out of such a boring city.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Looks like Ted Turner's alcoholic brother

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Les Miles?

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also regarding Texas/Texas A&M: Texas A&M/Texas Tech has been far more bitter recently. Far more mutual respect almost in the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry since the bonfire collapse.
    At least from my perch up north here.
    My 2 cents anyway.

12. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

Another vote for Auburn-Alabama.
    Nothing else rivals what goes on in that state.

Draft saved Draft deleted