1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivalry Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The battle for the Old Oaken Bucket -- Indiana/Purdue

Hey, they don't have to be good teams to be a rivalry.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Army-Navy is a great rivalry. I would agree that it is probably the coolest rivalry in college football, but I can't see how it is bigger today than Michigan-Ohio State or Bama-Auburn.

The coolest rival games I've ever been to are Army-Navy and Florida-Georgia.

The biggest rivals are Ohio State-Michigan and Bama-Auburn.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It's hardly ever an important game on the national scene, but as far as intensity goes it's hard to beat the Egg Bowl: Ole Miss-Miss. State.

As far as sports goes, it's not just a football rivalry; they want beat each other's brains out in basketball and baseball as well.

But it's a lot deeper than a sports rivalry. Like Bama-Auburn, it's cultural and economic rivalry. It's the Delta/Jackson nexus vs. the hills; culture vs. agriculture; gentry vs. the peons, etc.

Let me put it this way: my dad came from a staunch MSU family, but he went to Ole Miss because he wanted to be a Navy pilot and they had an NROTC program, while State didn't. That's been more than 60 years ago, and to a certain extent some of his family have never quite forgiven him for it.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've been to Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Michigan State, Texas-Oklahoma and Texas A&M-Texas.

UA-AU is light years ahead of any of the others.The one I attended wound up being Mike Shula's last game at Bama and damn, that was an ugly crowd.

Michigan-Michigan State is much more bitter than people outside the state realize.

Also, LSU-Ole Miss has some deep-seated and long-established hatred as well.

A match-up that isn't a rivalry yet but will become one rather quickly is Iowa-Nebraska.

5. Armchair_QB

Starkville is in Oktibbeha County and I had a Ole Miss alum tell one time that Oktibbeha is an old Choctaw word that means 'trailer park".

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of the ones I've been to...

The best:
    1. Bama-Auburn
    2. Ohio State-Michigan
    3. OU-Texas

The coolest:
    1. Army-Navy
    2. Florida-Georgia
    3. Nebraska-Oklahoma

Underrated:
    1. Stanford-Cal
    2. Oregon-Oregon State (Even when both teams were mediocre/bad)
    3. BYU-Utah

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Who is LSU's top rival?

8. Armchair_QB

Another SEC one people don't talk about much is Georgia-Auburn.

9. Armchair_QB

Proper hygiene.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia Tech-Virginia would be on this list, but UVa hasn't actually participated in the football rivalry in the last decade or so. :D

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Used to be Tulane, but that ship sailed years ago. Although they've tried to make LSU-Arkansas into a rivalry, I'd say right now, LSU's biggest rival is Ole Miss.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes ... although their best, most competitive rivalry lately is probably hockey.

Without looking it up, I think these two had a matchup at Kinnick at some point during the 1990s. Must have been tailgating nirvana!

Draft saved Draft deleted