1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rita's Italian Ice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery Meat II, Jul 29, 2009.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

'du, do yourself a favor ...

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Love me some Rita's. Got the raspberry lemonade ice the last time I was there. Amazing.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think that was the kind I had. Shame it took me almost 36 years to try that stuff for the first time.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Mango is my favorite from Rita's. Out of this world.

5. I get coupons for Rita's all the time in those Valupak mailers. I still haven't used them.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Always the cherry. I love the little bits of cherry in it.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've only been a few times and was not impressed. Perhaps I ordered the wrong flavor combo. My dad is virtually addicted to the mango/chocolate combo. He should work for the company based on how many people he tells about this.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I usually go for the Gelati when I go -- chocolate ice and chocolate custard.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rita's is good but the best italian water ice is found in Philadelphia. No doubt about it. Other areas of the country serve up icees and sno-cones, but for the real italian water ice, the City of Brotherly Love has everyone beat. Nothing, not even a beer and a brat, is better than a water ice and a pretzel on a hot summer day.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We have better local places around here. When a Rita's opened across the street from a longtime ice cream/Italian ice stand, the local guy told me: "Fuck that bitch Rita. Ours is better. I already kicked Friendly's ass and I'll kick hers, too." Tough biz.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Kicking Friendly's ass is like sending Brock Lesnar out to fight a quadriplegic kitten.

One day I was covering a high school soccer match, and on the way back I noticed some Operation Rescue protestors around the block that included a Friendly's. Why, I don't remember. But all I could think of looking at the dismembered fetus posters are "well, looks like Friendly's finally upgraded their menu."

Alas, where I am, authentic Italian ice is nigh on impossible to find. Given that my experience with flavored ice is the aformentioned Slurpees and sno-cones, as well as those Fla-Vor-Ice things, Rita's admittedly didn't have to pole vault an Olympian height to win me over.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted