1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping your current employer on Facebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here's a past case involving 5 workers who were given their jobs back after being wrongly fired for complaining about work on social networks.

http://techland.time.com/2011/09/07/complaining-about-work-on-facebook/

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

We had someone at our shop suspended last year after they had a little meltdown about the workplace on Facebook.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good info mustang...thanks.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Not a bright idea at all. Like the girl's quote from "The Social Network"

It didn't stop you from writing it. As if every thought that tumbles through your head was so clever it would be a crime for it not to be shared. The Internet's not written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink.

So true. I don't say anything on there that:
    A. I couldn't read to my mother
    B. I wouldn't mind if my boss read it.

There's a time and place for everything and that isn't the place to rip on your employer. Even if you make your profile private, if one of your friends decides to rat you out and show the boss...

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Dumb, dumber, dumberest.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, newspapers long ago abandoned First Amendment principles.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fixed your post.

8. New toys

New toys New Member

Your friend is stupid and deserves to be fired. That you failed to realize your friend is stupid and deserves to be fired suggests you're not so smart either.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Have you ever been told you're absolutely shitty at reading comprehension?

Where's the gray area on my feelings about it, dipshit?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hey New toys, relax.

Burns, on a completely light-hearted note, I love that a guy that goes by BurnsWhenIPee is the smart one in the friendship. Ditto what everyone else has said except for the legal analysis. Don't know if I would hang my hat on any of that. If a private company wants to fire you they can do so in most states no questions asked. Unless he asks your opinion, sit back and watch the catastrophe unfold and be there to console this guy if he is really your friend. Don't bother telling him you told him so.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"At-will employment" (which almost all newspapers operate under, unless you have a formal union contract) means they can fire you for any goddamn reason they want -- the color socks you wore to work last Thursday, the aroma of your farts, your asshole newsroom personality, etc etc.

If you can PROVE they fired you for reasons of outright discrimination (race, religion, gender, etc.) you may have some legal recourse, but ripping your employer on an identifiable public forum would constitute "conduct detrimental to the company" to almost any arbitrator in the world.

In other words, don't do it.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Facebook is for making fun of and catching up with your friends.
    Twitter is for sharing news and information.
    Message boards with covert screen names are for ripping on your bosses and coworkers.

Why don't people get this?

Draft saved Draft deleted