1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ripping vinyl and cassettes for iPod

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

OK, geeks of SportsJournalists.com -- what is the best program to use to rip music off of my dusty old cassettes and vinyl so I can put it on my iPod? And can I connect my old turntable and cassette deck directly with some sort of cable connection, or do I need some sort of converter? Thanks for any help.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

If your computer has A/V inputs then you can use those to connect your older equipment and run the audio into your computer. But there are a few turntables now that can connect to your computer via USB, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Turntable-USB-Record/dp/B000BUEMOO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1196741821&sr=1-1

I think they sell one like this at Best Buy too. I'm not sure about software to use if you're just connecting through analog A/V cables. But I'm pretty sure this turntable comes with software for you to use with it.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I have a program called uTorrent that helps me access old songs.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I imagine this would work... hook the older equipment into the back of your computer and then use a program called Total Recorder to record the stuff as it plays through your computer.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Thanks, everybody!

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yeah Future Shop and Best Buy sells it. Also I believe the Source sells it.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

If you already have a turntable, you can record them directly to your PC with a program called RecordPad. After the songs are on your computer, they can be loaded on Ipod with Itunes. All you need is a microphone for your mic input port. You can get them at Radio Shack and I've bought them at Big Lots also.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Didn't realize it was sold in retail stores. I've always just bought the basic version direct from the company's website:
    http://www.totalrecorder.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted