1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping other scribes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. I see nothing wrong with this. At least he didn't rip the guy behind his back (or make up lies about him) like so many of our colleagues in this biz.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wait...He didn't rip him behind his back?

Isn't that exactly what he did?

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I think the reporter got what's coming to him. To me, it seems like he's a homer anyway, showing up dressed like that.
    None of us will when an award for GQ for our outfits, but at least dress professional.

4. Not really because the author's name is on what he wrote. What I described is the backstabbing our colleagues do thinking what they say will never get back to the person they're discussing.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

I'm with Wingman. Bizarre and gratuitous reference.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm not sure what New England sportswriters would wear outside if it weren't for Boston Marathon windbreakers.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hehhhhhhhh, scwewy scwibes....

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

It definitely felt gratuitous to me. However, I have to second the post about Murphy being a good guy. Every time I've run into him, he's been nothing but class. The particular story might come off as a cheap shot, but I think he was was just trying to set up a lead on the Spurrious cloud that's hanging over Ubran's head.

9. Cheap and gratuitous. Winger's right about this one.

10. gridiron

gridiron Member

I hear you Wingman...I think it reads like he was trying really, really hard to embarrass the guy. If I were that writer -- though I would never, ever wear some shit like that to a game -- I would be rather upset. But I, too, echo the sentiments that Austin is good people.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm with you, Wing.

Cheap shot.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, here I am on the fence again.

I think it's perfectly OK for one beat guy to call out another for what he deems to be a stupid question, although I don't think this one was that stupid.

The windbreaker thing was indeed a cheap shot -- and, finally, the guy shouldn't be wearing one to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted