1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping other scribes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, you're not the only one.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The guy used it as a piece of color to frame his story. Big deal. Is it the best way to go, probably not. But there are worse ways.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I hate to sound like I'm obsessed with this, but I think it's absurd that so many people on this board agree that it's somehow unethical to call a coach "Coach," but have no problem with a national writer saying a beat writer "baited" a coach with a perfectly reasonable question.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

commerated?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not unethical, maybe a tad obsequious.

'Father' Murphy <=> 'Coach' Blowhard

6. I wouldn't have written what Murphy did, but wearing that jacket is a worse offense, in my opinion.

And I must have missed the "coach" debate. Hell, I'm unethical more than 50 percent of the time too, I guess.

7. Babs

Babs Member

I bitch about a lot of things, believe me, but I don't see anything wrong with calling a coach "Coach". If anything, it's formal as opposed to calling him "Bob" or whatever his name is.

Back on topic, I agree that the windbreaker bit is used as color for his story, and probably not a gratuitous dig.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Don't see this as ripping ... see it as a writer noting that those who cover Urban still long for Spurrier, and following a legend is never easy

one man's opinion

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Calling him "Coach" is formal? I don't get that.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm with you Wingman... gratuitous cheap shot that adds nothing to the story.
    Even the windbreaker thing -- although the guy shouldn't be wearing it to a game -- is unnecessary. Murphy wants to suck Urban off, fine... but why rip somebody else in the process.

Our business is now populated by to many assholes who want to take shots at each.... fucking ATH mentality

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chide if you will!!

12. Austin Murphy is one of the good guys - chummy with the guys on a lot of beats, chummy to a fault with coaches and players, etc. Hardly a "dick." He was trying to set up an illustration of the cloud of Spurrier over Meyer's program. Now, I don't think it worked - the guy's question wasn't outlandish or uncalled for. So it was more of a reach than anything, trying to fit this square peg into his round hole. I doubt there was any malice.

Draft saved Draft deleted