1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripken, Gwynn won't be unanimous selections

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 7, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is old news, but Paul Ladewski of the Daily Southtown in suburban Chicago says he is not voting for anyone into the Hall of Fame.

"In an attempt to uphold the Hall of Fame standards established by their predecessors, I will not vote for anyone who played in the 1993-2004 period, which I consider to be the Steroids Era," Ladewski wrote in an e-mail to The Sun last month. "That includes Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire and Cal Ripken Jr."

"It's not an anti-Cal Ripken vote or an anti-Tony Gwynn vote; it's a vote about not knowing enough, in my opinion, of the Steroids Era and performance-enhancing drugs to make the kind of decision that needs to be made," Ladewski said.

"From my dealings with Cal Ripken Jr. in the past, he was very pleasant, a good ambassador for the game, and his numbers speak for themselves," Ladewski said. "But I don't have enough information on the [steroids] subject to make a decision."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.ripken07jan07,0,4247413.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This guy is a moron and should lose his vote immediately. His entire body of work should come under an immediate investigation.

3. The logic of many of the steroid-hunters demands this response, by the way.
    We have been told that the problem is that "they put the whole game under a cloud." Proof never has been necessary to taint a player, or McGwire wouldn't have a problem right now. OK, well, here's a real-world response to that.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Ripken sure as hell doesn't deserve to be the first unanimous selection. One of the more overrated players of his generation.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, an MVP award, a World Series ring, a longevity record, numerous All-Star appearances, Gold Gloves -- those things are all inconsequential.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I wonder what JDV would say in this situation?

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Moronic stance by Ladewski. Just plain moronic.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not only a moronic stance but more of the self-serving bullshit we get from too many so-called journalists these days.
    You don't want to vote for anybody from the "steroids era?" Fine, be stupid and don't vote for guys like Gwynn and Ripken.
    But don't then write this bullshit, acting like you're the self-appointed keeper of Hall of Fame integrity. Just send in your ballot and shut the fuck up.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

WFW

This award is not about ... us. Self-serving bullshit, indeed. Take your vote seriously, not yourself.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Should there be some kind of standard that all HOF voters be held to each year so they can be eligible to vote? The BBWAA certainly could use to weed out self-righteous fucktards like him out.

11. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Why have a vote at all if you can't vote your principles?
    The guy backs it up with an argument and a reasoned opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine. Then don't vote his way. Vote your way.

It's not like the guy is saying, "I won't vote for him because he wouldn't grant me in interview one time in 1994." Now that would be self-serving.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

His argument has nothing to do with the individual players, though. It's just a blanket rejection.

Draft saved Draft deleted