1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripken and Gwynn only Hall of Famers this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 9, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

My point is maintained that the three stats lines are close and that an All-Star Game MVP award does not suddenly propel Gary Carter to be a Hall of Famer. It seems like grasping at straws to try and make Carter appear "that much better." All three (Carter, Parrish, Simmons) were fine players at their position, but none is head and shoulders above the other and should be considered a Hall of Famer.

Not that it matters what I say as Carter is in the Hall and I doubt he'd ever be thrown out. :) We'll agree to disagree, obviously, but I think the New York factor (and being on that '86 team) pushed him over the top.

p.s. Lance Parrish played all of 123 games at DH in his career, and never more than 27 times in one season.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

It looks like we will have to agree to disagree. When I looked things up, the stats showed me a difference. I wouldn't say Carter is head and shoulders over the other players mentioned, but I would say the others only come up to his eyes.

I don't think it was New York so much as the fact that the Mets won the World Series and won both the playoffs and the World Series in such dramatic fashion... not only Game 6 (Bill Buckner takes the blame Bob Stanley's wild pitch and John McNamara not putting Dave Stapleton in on defense because of Buckner's bad back) against the Red Sox, but Game 6 against the Astros... that got a big rating.

Draft saved Draft deleted