1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripken and Gwynn only Hall of Famers this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Bruce Sutter is in and Trevor Hoffman walks in on the first ballot, it's a travesty Goose Gossage isn't in. (Or Lee Smith, for that matter.)

In Gossage's day, you didn't have the specialized 6-inning starter / set-up / set-up / closer. He came in in the 7th and was asked to get 9 outs, and he got them.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Albert Belle being drummed off the ballot entirely is a crime. I know he was the cocksucker to end all cocksuckers, and his career ended under suspicion, but his numbers are hard to argue.

He's the anti-Kirby Puckett.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Guess we can file this one under "When bad things happen to bad people."

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. He might not have made many friends during his career, but he was a damn good player for years. That stuns me.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fuck Joey, fuck him painfully hard and often. He was a complete and utter asshole.

Also, whom ever didn't vote for Ripken and Gwynn should publicly identified and humilated. If 98% of your peers think they belong, then the judgement of the 2% who didn't is completely in question. How could just about all the BBWA think they are worthy, but this 2% or so, doesn't. They are morons.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Among those who did not vote for either Ripken or Gwynn was long-time NY baseball writer/scorekeeper supreme Bill Shannon.
    Shannon's logic, as told to AP, was that Gwynn and Ripken were getting in anyway and there were 10 other players he wanted to vote for.
    And you know what, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

And as I said earlier, all you assholes who want to arbitrarily start taking away peoples' votes are a bunch of fuckwads.
    Who the fuck are any of you to decide who should or shouldn't vote?
    Half of you douchebags probably never covered a major league game in your pathetic fucking lives.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If I had a ballot, I'd have picked Gwynn, Ripken, Gossage and Blyleven.

On a secondary note, if Baines only gets 5 percent, what about Edgar Martinez's chances of getting in when he's eligible?

And finally, Orel Hershiser getting less than 5 percent of the vote is absurd. He willed a 1988 Dodgers team to an improbable World Series title with one hell of a season (59 scoreless innings). He should have at least been able to stick around on the ballot a bit longer.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, my friend, that's real good. Deepen your voice a little bit, and you'll sound just like a brain-dead nose tackle telling us we didn't play the game.

Expected a bit more than that.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No. Gwynn and Ripken were foregone conclusions. The only "news" is how far or close McGwire came. As for McGwire, he was no farther from being a five-tool player than Harmon Killebrew, who had comparative batting averages and fewer homers. We know McGwire took Andro, and many assume McGwire took steroids, as we assume of most everyone who had a lot of homers in the past 10 years. Well, I'll assume that most of the big home run hitters of the 50s and 60s took greenies, so I'll call it a wash and say McGwire should be in. If he'd have said "hell no" before Congress instead of the Garbo bit he did, he'd probably be in.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Didn't Dante Bichette mention andro and that's what got that going? If so, maybe that's why he got three votes

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bad day at work?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He's had a bad day...he's taken one down....

Sorry, can't bear to continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted