1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIPJohnathan Gold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Greatest food writer in America and by far the best writer about LA since Raymond Chandler. Dead at 57 because of pancreatic cancer. Fuck cancer.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

His review of Majordomo back in April was a work of art in pettiness aimed at David Chang. I loved every word.

He once tried to get me to denounce Filipino cuisine in front of a roomful of his (non-Filipino) friends. I once tried to punk him by taking one of his chefs out to a K-town bossam restaurant when she visited, and she didn't quite recognize that the delicious dish she was eating had anything to do with the most famous preparation at Ssäm Bar, the restaurant where she worked.

Also, for the last several months I have been furious at the chef for dismantling Lucky Peach, a splendid food magazine created by him and Peter Meehan that I truly loved and wrote for. As I've said, it's complicated — I'm not sure whether I'm here to praise Caesar or to bury him.

At Majordomo, Jonathan Gold is unsure whether to praise chef David Chang — or bury him

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Such incredible writing just in that one review. His writing was addicting to read.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is fairly interesting:

The latest sign of California’s ascendance comes with the announcement that Tejal Rao will be the New York Times’s first-ever California critic, traveling the state to file reviews and continue her recent work as a feature writer; she will be based in Los Angeles. Pete Wells, the paper’s chief critic, will continue to file occasional reviews from California, according to the Times’s press release.
    Times food editor Sam Sifton’s announcement of Rao’s move notes that the publication has more regular readers in California than anywhere else besides New York. Certainly, a great deal of that has to do with the quality of the paper’s journalism. But it also says as much about California, especially Los Angeles, and the impact of the continued gutting of local media. “The New York Timescan afford a critic who takes on big, expensive eating assignments,” Shalhoup says. “Of course the LA Times can afford it, too. But the smaller outlets, like the Weekly, where I was, I fought really hard to keep that position and keep the dining budget intact because I knew how important it was to the culture of LA.”

Draft saved Draft deleted