1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Zander Hollander

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My bookshelf, like yours likely was, was well-stocked with his tomes, circa 1985.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/sports/zander-hollander-sports-trivia-shepherd-dies-at-91.html?referrer=

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm more familiar with Xaviera.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Tremendous reads. Still have a few tattered early 80s NHL copies. Also still possess the 1993 MLB issue with a photo of Barry Bonds' signing presser in San Francisco on the cover. That image still comes to mind when Bonds/PEDs are mentioned.

Thanks for the link, Dick. RIP Mr. Hollander.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

still alive

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This story was published last summer (and might have been posted here):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/14/sports/for-true-sports-fans-before-the-internet-there-were-the-complete-handbooks.html?_r=0

Loved the "Complete Handbooks." Always bought the baseball and football ones when I was a kid in the 1980s.

I vividly remember his division-by-division predictions, which were written in the jargon of a racing form. Cardinals "could lead wire to wire." Mets are a "potential dark horse," and so on.

RIP.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Come to think of it Steak, you're right and I posted my RIP then. I guess that's why I later started wondering, "Wasn't he already dead?"

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I was 10-11 years old in 1969, I learned pretty much everything I knew about basketball pre-1965 or so from:

[​IMG]

Amazing how reading things out of a big thick book imbues them with the feel of history. There were pictures in "The Modern Encyclopedia" of Wilt in his 50-ppg season with the Warriors, and it seemed like you were reading about Babe Ruth or legends of ancient history. Yet it was only seven or eight years earlier.

Photos of Mikan and Bob Kurland from the 1940s might as well have been images of cavemen hunting buffalo on the open prairie.

It's not like kids today dial up YouTube vids of LeBron's rookie season and get the sense they're peering into the antediluvian past.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Essential at the time, the Complete Handbooks are still great curio pieces about a sport in that given moment. I bought them religiously in the mid to late 80s. Still have three on my bookshelf.

Hollander chose his stories well too. Leafed through the 1985 baseball version and it had a great series of All-(Fill In The Blank) lists. Very cutting.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's who I thought this was about. I have no idea what she looks like, but I'm pretty sure I learned what a vagina looks like while skimming over her work.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you need a refresher course, check out the US Airways thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted