1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Youngstown Vindicator

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Youngstown is like my market, the TV stations probably lost 75% of where they get their news from by the newspaper folding.

HanSenSE, wicked and Pilot like this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Certainly notable that neither GateHouse nor Gannett wanted it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen too many "signs of the apocolypse"(s) start at smaller papers, advertising on A1, no political endorsements, early deadlines, shutting down their presses and printing off-sight - and then slowly move up the food chain. More quickly than you would imagine.

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know why; GateHouse went into Akron and dissolved the union. They own 10 of the other 17 dailies in NE and Eastern Ohio. I kind of always assumed Youngstown was just a matter of time.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gatehouse still might pounce. It could just buy the subscription list from the current owners. Then it a could print a Youngstown edition in the Akron paper, using a lot of Akron and Columbus material.

Only buying the subscription list means that Gatehouse does not assume the union contracts. And since Gatehouse already has a nearby press they do not need the Youngstown plant.

6. LanceyHoward

I looked it up and Mahoning County, of which Youngstown is the county seat, has a population of 238,000. Does another paper publish in the county?

7. LanceyHoward

My guess is that in five years all the surviving area is that all the surviving dailies will be in one group and centrally published. The publisher will probably use separate mastheads but it will essentially be one editorial product.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Nope. There's the Warren Tribune Chronicle, in Trumbull County to the north, and three small papers in Columbiana County, to the south. Both would have to add staff or correspondents to cover Mahoning County news and sports.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sinclair?

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Lots of chains in small-market outlets in this HDTV era do the same thing. Gray and Nexstar for sure.

11. Situation

Situation Member

Why?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If Google and Facebook are going to collude to reduce ad rates lower it's going to make it damned difficult for news gathering companies to be sustainable. And I could argue an online ad is more valuable than one in a print product. For example, directly above me is an ad for Golfgalaxy.com. I see an item I like in this ad and I can click directly on it and buy it, whereas with a print ad I have to physically go to a computer to buy online or drive to a store.

Draft saved Draft deleted