1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Yogi Berra, 90

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Garagiola was Yogi's No. 1 PR guy.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I met Garagiola once. I know this is no surprise, but holy shit the guy never shut up. Loud as hell, too.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think Yogi's greatness as a player was "forgotten" as much as there just aren't that many people around anymore who SAW that greatness.

Face it: His career as a HOF ballplayer basically ended in 1963. His career as a lovable quipster ended in September 2015. I'm 54 years old. A dinosaur. My earliest memory of Yogi is him doing athlete's foot commercials. I haven't forgotten how great he was as a player. I just never saw it to be able to forget it.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Serious question. Was Berra the greatest catcher of all time? A friend of mine is posting on facebook about this and can't believe Berra isn't considered the best of all time. He strongly believes Bench is overrated. My personal top five (in no real order) would be Cochrane, Berra, Campanella, Bench, Rodriguez.

Thoughts?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you do with Ivan Rodriguez. His numbers would put him in the conversation for greatest ever, but he's "Steroid Era."

If you tell me Berra is the best ever, I'm not going to argue. And I'm not somebody who enjoys heaping praise on Yankees.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Yogi helped invent the Internet too.

Draft saved Draft deleted