1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Yogi Berra, 90

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Third. Wells' came the year before.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yup, my mistake. I flip-flopped the two. Thought Cone was the year before Wells.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I do the same. I also sometimes think it happened a year earlier than they did. So instead of 98 and 99, I remember it as 97, 98.

4. bigpern23

That was actually the mistake I made, thinking Cone was in '97. I always remember Wells was '98 because I went to a game later that season in which Wells was perfect into the seventh inning against Oakland and the Stadium was buzzing at the possibility of a second perfecto. It was early September (Sept. 6, 1998, I think). We skipped classes, drove to the city and watched a taping of Letterman before hopping on the subway and getting to the Stadium just in time for the anthem. That day is pretty well etched in my memory and, by extension, Wells' perfecto is as well.

EDIT: It was Sept. 1, 1998. Wells pitched a two-hit shutout and struck out 13. Best pitching performance I've seen in person.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've always thought Yogi, not DiMaggio or Mantle, was the perfect Yankee.

Yogi and Gehrig. Hall of Famers in every way.

6. bigpern23

Not disagreeing in any way, but I'm curious what made you think that? I've never thought about it that way, so I'm wondering how you came to that opinion.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

While remembered as a catcher, and rightfully so, this also was a part of his story: Watching Mazeroski's home run sail over his head in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series.

[​IMG]

RIP to a class act all the way around. I never tire of that clip of him screaming at umpire Bill Summers after Jackie Robinson stole home in the '55 World Series.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Reminds me of another line credited to him. He did a broadcast interview and afterward received a check that said "Pay to Bearer." And he tells the interviewer, "Geez, you've known me all these years and you still don't know how to spell my name?"

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this line was attributed to him, or someone else, but it sounds like it was said by him.

As a kid, someone asked him how he liked school.

He responded, "Closed."

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Vigoda passed one of his sternest tests. Anyhoo, Commissioner Manfred's statement indicated Berra was helpful in the integration of baseball. I was not aware of that.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Michael Kay, the museum is in Little Falls, not Little Ferry.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So going back, looking at the numbers in baseballreference, Berra's case as the greatest catcher ever sure looks like a strong one. Better than Dickey's or Hartnett's. That leaves Campanella, Bench, Piazza and Pudge, I think. I always used to say Bench, but looking again, I might have been putting what I saw against what I saw as a little kid, and even then only in World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted