1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP XFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shelbyville Manhattan, Apr 10, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What if I told you that a spring football league failed-twice, but succeeded in winning the hearts of Americans?

The Xpired Football League part of ESPN's critically acclaimed 30 for 30 series presented by Levi's.

Sunday 9 pm

2muchcoffeeman and SFIND like this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What if we told you that a certain someone killed ANOTHER football league? He didn't even have to drag it into a courtroom this time.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More like 30 for 5

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will miss the salty fake Twitter personality.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought the league already owned all the trademarks, logos, etc etc.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The next spring league that comes here will cause me to "I told you so" and laugh at the fans when it craters even harder than I did this time

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am surprised the NFL hasn't done something in the spring (since NFL Europe). At minimum, allowed it's reserve/futures players to play while retaining rights, license it and have someone else put up the operating costs similar to what MLB does/did with minor league baseball. Having an NFL tie-in - while also giving more players more reps, more coaches opportunities seems like it would put a spring league over the top.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The NFL did NFL Europe for a number of years. That's where Kurt Warner went after he got on the Rams radar in Arena Football.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much was the NFL spending on the Europe league? I bet it was a rounding error in the budget, and you had a training ground for future coaches and front office and business side personnel.

Draft saved Draft deleted