1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP XFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shelbyville Manhattan, Apr 10, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This is obviously true, but 1) it probably would have stabilized at a number at some point, and not dropped to 0.0 and 2) it was on Saturdays and Sundays during a typical dead period. I imagine it was pulling in more males 18 to 45 - what advertisers want - than the usual fare available on those days.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"Do I still get a Championship ring?"
    - Ol Ball Coach

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That league was so short-lived, the St. Louis team didn't even have time to move to Memphis.

4. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Working beyond the usual Presidential bluster, one wonders what the actual tenor of the conference call among the commissioners was last weekend. Vince McMahon was among those on on it.

A report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Future of BattleHawks doubtful after XFL suspends operations, informs teams of layoffs) noted that refunds for 2021 season-ticket deposits began being issued to customers early this week. The XFL was looking at a) closed stadiums due to the likelihood of no vaccine by next February, b) the notion of college football delaying its season to the winter and spring, c) the NFL potentially having a later start with a longer training camp, and thus pushing the season a few weeks deeper into February (as mentioned by tapintoamerica).

If I'm McMahon, I put the league on ice, maintain all trademarks and logos and purchase some AAF trademarks and logos. Then punt until 2023, assuming relative normalcy has returned by then. Return with a reshuffled league that incorporates some of the more successful AAF markets: San Antonio, Orlando and San Diego. If costs can be kept in control, there's a market for this.

Batman likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Another spring league bites the dust.

{yawn}

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Like it was never even there.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the numbers were already dropping to a point where it wasn't really a viable league... and they were still going down. It pulled terrible numbers with no competition.

If they thought there was any future they wouldn't be folding. This league is an ex-parrot.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My only regret was not getting on the under and riding it. I think it cashed in two-thirds of the games.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When do the deep dives on The Athletic start showing up?

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Stand for the flag, take a knee for god and, ya know, the league's future.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Seattle is a weird sports town. They have obnoxious Seahawks fans, hipster soccer fans, and fans who supported a team in a third-rate football league, while it is supposedly a great city for outdoor activities.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How 'bout a "30 for 30"?

SFIND, Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted