1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP XFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shelbyville Manhattan, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the 30 for 30 on Vince's bad luck.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Very, very high on the list of non-essential businesses.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Vince will be modeling the HE HATE ME jersey on Raw next week.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Cool.

I anxiously await whatever league is going to launch in 2022 with breathless coverage about why THIS is the one that's really going to make it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - it was just starting to gain some momentum too.

Seriously, I feel bad for all involved. Fans just didn't show up. Virus or not.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Then again - maybe it will come back on Sunday...:rolleyes:

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What was the over/under on how long a league that encouraged gambling would last.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They were averaging about 15,000 per game. A couple of markets (St. Louis and Seattle) were pulling 25-30K per game, and Houston and Tampa were doing OK. New York and Los Angeles might have been underperforming, but I think on the whole attendance was right around what they expected for a first-year league. Several franchises seemed to be getting a buzz going as a fun party atmosphere, and the league was smartly leaning into that a bit to gain a cult following.
    If the virus hadn't hit, they would have been back for a second season. They were staying in their lane as a quirky start-up league and gaining a following.

XFL Attendance - 2020 Season - XFLBoard.com

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Viewership dropped by double digits every week.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, you know, the reported attendance wasn't as bad as you'd think. Even with week five, when shit was starting to go down across all of sports, the average per game was 18,571. (Higher than the AAF, but it's hard to make a one to one comparison because there are differences in stadium capacities and markets and what not.) I felt like there was enough "buzz" that a second season seemed logical. It was fun to tune into the games on weekends.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just a guess here: The possibility that the NFL will extend through February has become greater. That would force the XFL to move its 2021 calendar back into the NBA and NHL playoff territory. Its brief window of prominence is closed.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted