1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Woodie Fryman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pretty good LH pitcher who was around for a long time:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110206/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_obit_fryman

[​IMG]

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It always bothers me when the guys who were playing when I started collecting baseball cards start kicking...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed... I remember him when he was with the Tigers,... RIP

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was the baseball card I used to get in every pack, hoping instead I'd pull out a Dave Parker or Mike Schmidt that I could never seem to get. I have about 1,000 Woodie Fryman cards sitting somewhere. Out of the over-printed common cards, I liked him better than Steve Swisher. Fryman had a cool name, and he looked perpetually old. The card with a close-up of Swisher's face with a catcher's mask on really annoyed the hell out of me. So for that alone, RIP Woodie Fryman.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I organized a portion of my old cards about a year ago, and I'll bet I have about 300 Frymans from 1981 and 1982.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

He was a key part of the Tigers' 1972 AL East championship team - which led to one very interesting playoff series with Oakland: Bert Campaneris threw his bat at Lerrin LaGrow; Angel Manuel (sp?) rubbed Bill Slayback's face in the dirt...

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fryman was a fascinating card for me to get back then because he was one of those guys who needed a 6-point font to get all of his seasons on the card.

I always thought it was ironic that the longer you played, the less info they could get about you on the back of your baseball card.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Really. They'd have all kinds of inane chatter about some rookie or journeyman, but nothing but stats on Yaz or Gibson.

9. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Nothing against Fryman, but I will always remember him as being part of the trade (along with Dale Murry) that sent Tony Perez to the Expos and started the dismantling of the Cincinnati Reds.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6 pt? More like 4....

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

He's well remembered from the late '70s and early '80s glory days of the Expos. RIP.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"Wayne Krenchicki had a ninth-inning pinch-single in a 9-1 Reds loss to the Pirates on Sept. 23, 1984.

Wayne Krenchicki's Triple-A manager said, "Wayne's a real gamer!"

Draft saved Draft deleted