1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Wizard magazine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 24, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Used to be one of my faves. Been utter crap the last year or so. Now it's dead. At least the print version. The website continues.

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/20819

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hate it for the folks who lost their jobs, but from a content standpoint it's no big loss. Wizard lost its fastball a long time ago. If I had to pinpoint it, I'd say it was sometime around 2003 or 2004 when they transitioned from a magazine that wasn't afraid to poke fun at the truly lame ideas in comics to a shameless promoter of the industry. Fun quick-hit features like the Mort of the Month gave way to yet another slobbering profile of Joe Quesada.
    I think it was part of their stated goal of becoming "an Entertainment Weekly for the comic book industry," but it should have turned off anyone with half a brain.

I suppose this means the end of ToyFare, too, which is a bit sadder if only for the loss of "Twisted ToyFare Theatre," which was always entertaining. At least the spirit of that lives on with Robot Chicken.

3. I used to treasure issues of this when I was a kid and subscribed from probably 1990-1998. That they made every caption funny (at least to a 10 year old) was a big selling point for me, and the fact that I used to sit down and chart the two-cent changes in the value of every last one of my nearly worthless comics every month meant I got some extended use out of them every month.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry for the people who lost their jobs, but they lost me as a reader a long time ago. Batman is right. They became far too interested in kissing the collective ass of the comic industry to be good any more.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dear Darkseid was always one of my faves.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Beckett's Baseball Card Monthly just began sweating.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be about the publication formerly known as Bullets.

Draft saved Draft deleted