1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Win Bates, Brockton Enterprise

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sporting_guista, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Win Bates died yesterday, very sad. Win was a throwback, lived for sports--especially the local stuff--and loved being a sportswriter. Spent plenty of time on the road with the Red Sox and covered all four of the Boston majors at one time or another. He could be a grumpy dude, but he had a good heart. My sympathies to his family and friends.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/sports/x511177866/The-Enterprise-mourns-passing-of-former-sports-writer-Win-Bates

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That is sad news indeed.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Weird, all the copy in that file has been deleted.

Found it elsewhere online. I'll post the first couple grafs, not wanting to totally infringe on copyright.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

One of the photos in the obit is from six days ago. Freaky.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Had a soft spot in my heart for Win ... echo Giusta's thoughts ... may have been kind of coarse on the surface, but it didn't take much effort to get underneath ... knew he hadn't been in good health ... sounds as though he went doing what he loved best, so there is mercy in that ... will miss his plaid shirts ... he seemed to have one for every occasion ... my thoughts and prayers to his many friends and family members ....

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Another one of the Boston-area old-timers.

Those of us who broke in around those guys were lucky indeed.

7. Very true Billy.

Draft saved Draft deleted