1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Wimbledon winner Jana Novotna, 49

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cancer. 49.

Surprised this went by quietly here.

[​IMG]

Jana Novotna, the Czech tennis star who cried on the Duchess of Kent’s shoulder after losing a Wimbledon singles final in 1993 and then triumphed at the same tournament five years later, died on Sunday in the Czech Republic. She was 49.

The Women’s Tennis Association confirmed her death in a statement, which did not specify where in her native country she died. She had cancer.

Novotna won 17 Grand Slam titles over her career, 16 of them in doubles and mixed doubles, as well as three Olympic medals. But it was her singles career that came to define her.

Jana Novotna, Czech Winner of Wimbledon, Dies at 49

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Know the name; never would have guessed she was that old.

Still, way too young. RIP.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Died the same day, and announced around the same time, as Terry Glenn. Got lost in the shuffle. Really was in her prime before I became a big tennis fan, but it’s hard to believe one GS title — and never a ranking of No. 1 — gets you into the Hall of Fame.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1 GS singles title.

17 overall.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As that story said, when she lost Wimbledon to Steffi Graf in 1993, she cried on the shoulder of the Duchess of Kent during the award ceremony. It was one of the most human moments you'll ever see. She was a really good player. Athletic as anything. I heard the news of her death in the car yesterday, and even though I never felt particularly attached to her as a player, it hit me hard. I really felt like crying.

Draft saved Draft deleted