1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP William Safire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/us/28safire.html?_r=1&hp

Pancreatic cancer.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Regardless of his politics, one of the most brilliant writers of our times, a true master of the language.

RIP

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Dang. Quite a run for pancreatic cancer lately. Hopefully all our hard work will lead to a cure in our lifetimes.

Never agreed with a word he wrote ... but he was a master a writing it. RIP, Mr. Safire.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

His "On Language" column in the NYTimes was my favourite weekly read.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Loved his column, loved his dedication to the language.

RIP.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Though fiercely a champion of conservatism, his politics of the 1970s would be considered today just a tad right of center. But a wonderful writer and language scholar.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

His language column was required reading in one of my college reporting classes.

RIP to a great columnist (who often did his own reporting) and a great keeper of the English language.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RIP, he will be missed

I encourage everyone to read Freedom, by Wm Safire.

When this book was published in 1987 I had pretty much stopped reading anything remotely serious or literary. This book rekindled my love of reading, and my passion with well written books.

http://www.amazon.com/FREEDOM-NOVEL-ABRAHAM-LINCOLN-CIVIL/dp/B000YJO8K0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254097900&sr=8-2

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As JR mentioned, how could you not appreciate the "On Language" column?

Always fun & always learned something from it.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I worked at one of the NYT's regional papers, the mother ship sent us a behind-the-scenes documentary-type film of Times reporters at work to reinforce good reporting practices (and just to show off). The one thing I remember about it was Safire calling some political big shot (the White House, maybe, or a senator). The receptionist asks him, ``May I tell him what this is regarding?'' and Safire fires back, ``I never say what I'm calling about.''

Goodbye to one of the greats.

Draft saved Draft deleted