1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP William Safire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Pancreatic cancer.
  2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Regardless of his politics, one of the most brilliant writers of our times, a true master of the language.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Dang. Quite a run for pancreatic cancer lately. Hopefully all our hard work will lead to a cure in our lifetimes.

Never agreed with a word he wrote ... but he was a master a writing it. RIP, Mr. Safire.
  4. JR

JR Active Member

His "On Language" column in the NYTimes was my favourite weekly read.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here.
  6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Loved his column, loved his dedication to the language.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Though fiercely a champion of conservatism, his politics of the 1970s would be considered today just a tad right of center. But a wonderful writer and language scholar.
  9. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

His language column was required reading in one of my college reporting classes.

RIP to a great columnist (who often did his own reporting) and a great keeper of the English language.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RIP, he will be missed

I encourage everyone to read Freedom, by Wm Safire.

When this book was published in 1987 I had pretty much stopped reading anything remotely serious or literary. This book rekindled my love of reading, and my passion with well written books.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As JR mentioned, how could you not appreciate the "On Language" column?

Always fun & always learned something from it.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I worked at one of the NYT's regional papers, the mother ship sent us a behind-the-scenes documentary-type film of Times reporters at work to reinforce good reporting practices (and just to show off). The one thing I remember about it was Safire calling some political big shot (the White House, maybe, or a senator). The receptionist asks him, ``May I tell him what this is regarding?'' and Safire fires back, ``I never say what I'm calling about.''

Goodbye to one of the greats.
Draft saved Draft deleted