1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP William Ruckelshaus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 27, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watergate figure William Ruckelshaus dead at 87 - CNNPolitics

A pretty unfair headline. He was also the first administrator of the EPA and served four different Presidents, R and D - and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by a fifth.

I wish their were more true public servants like him around these days, who focused on the work and not the politics.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the headline. RIP, sir.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah. It makes it sound like some c-list Nixon crony passed away.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan, you're right. It's not fair. But we've all read, and many of us have written, many obits, and we know that the big news hook goes in the head and the first sentence. It's how it works. Monica Lewinsky could win the Nobel Prize for medicine and you KNOW what the head in her obit will say.

5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Ruckelshaus, when White House chief of staff Alexander Haig asked him to fire Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox:

"C'mon, Al, what're you gonna do, get a tank down here and blow me out of my office? I can't do this."

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Nixon to Ruckelshaus: "I would like you to do us a favor though." October 1973

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

From what I've heard about Haig, I wouldn't have given him any ideas. His sarcasm radar probably didn't work too well.

Draft saved Draft deleted