1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP William O. Link

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As I have opined many times on this board, Columbo is the best-written and acted detective show in TV history.

What is it about a mystery that creates suspense? Who did it, how and why.

Columbo gave you those in the opening scene, and yet the show was still compelling and suspenseful because of the writing and Peter Falk's portrayal of the character.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP.

According to Wikipedia, he met Levinson on the first day of junior high, and they created radio scripts in high school before going to Penn.

Mannix and Ellery Queen, as well. And "The Execution of Private Slovik" was an amazing TV movie.

A master at screenwriting, which requires not only a talent for dialogue, but character development and direction.

Liut and Jake from State Farm like this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I really liked the Ellery Queen show, when Ellery (Jim Hutton, right?) would break the fourth wall as he was about to reveal the culprit and ask the audience if we knew who did it.

Liut and maumann like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As a kid I watched M,SW and always tried to find the "big clue." Me and my folks would always say who we thought "did it" in the last ad break before the reveal. Can't help but think that helped hone my observation skills. Also loved Encyclopedia Brown as a kid.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted