1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Phil Collins would have to be in the Top 5 as an individual performer. People forget how big he was back then.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, and side note: two FEMALE pop stars, yes.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Phil Collins was all over MTV at least as much as Madonna and Whitney Houston and Prince were in the 1980s. Collins just had a much less spotlighted past couple decades.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We're talking 80s, not 90s.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I think of the 80s, Phil Collins doesn't come to mind. And that's even as much as I loved about five of his/Genesis' songs back then.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Billy Ocean was more popular than Phil Collins in the 1980s. I'd put John Bon Jovi and Springsteen well above Collins as well.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Heavy D, Don Cornelius and Whitney in three months. The world has less soul than it should right now. As messed up as she was after her prime, Whitney is still one of the baddest ever. That kind of voice comes maybe once every 20 years. And, yes, definitely Prince before Phil Collins.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah. Obviously Michael Jackson trumps both.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Wish I would have read your comment before I left CNN on just long enough to see the dopey reporter on the street in New York marching up to random people with a cameraman, sticking a microphone in their face and blurting out, "Whitney Houston passed away." First woman jumps back and says "What? You're kidding me?" To which he says, "Nope. Just happened." And then he walks up to this young black woman and says, "News just broke. It's not so good news. Whitney Houston has died." She replies, "Oh my God. Are you serious?" His response, "Uh, any reaction or remembrances of her work?" Dumbass.

And then of course there was this one lady with her own version of history: "I will always remember her performance of the national anthem the year after 9/11. I mean it made the radio it was so good, so that was awesome." Uh, yeah, she was only 10 years off.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I think Prince is a far better artist as well as being a far bigger star than Phil Collins. Prince is a pop song writer who happens to be a remarkable performer who happens to be a world-class, all-time musician.

And he mentioned multi-media stars, and Prince had a hit movie, as well, don't forget.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's seriously amateur hour tonight. MSNBC trots out Rev. Al. CNN has this asshat on who just said, paraphrasing, CNN sources say Whitney Houston died at the Beverly Hilton and a Beverly Hills lieutenant confirmed it at a news conference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.