1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Whitey Ford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 9, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

RIP to one of the greats and a larger than life personality.

He was one of my favorite interviews ever. He was already in his 70s at the time, and I was warned that he was losing it a little and he sometimes got cranky, and I should try to get him on the phone and get what I needed quickly because it might go downhill fast.

I called, and it was the exact opposite of the warning I had gotten. He was funny, told me a story about Don Larsen's perfect game that I had never heard (and had nothing to do with why I called him), and I couldn't get the guy off the phone.

The Larsen story -- and you had to hear it in his voice, being told the way he told a story. ... was something like this (and I am going to screw it up):

In those days, Don didn't finish many games, and Casey was a little nervous about him . So they told me to get down to the bullpen and be ready, just in case.

So first inning, I was already down in the bullpen, and I got up to throw a few pitches. Same thing, second inning, third inning and so on.

In the old Yankee Stadium, you couldn't see the infield from the bullpen, especially when you were warming up.

Greatest game ever pitched, and I didn't get to see any of it!

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not that much of an exaggeration. Their combined career winning percentage was .622.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A pitcher from a bygone era. How hard could he have thrown?

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Hate this line of thinking so damn much.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Three speeds. Slow, slower and reverse.

But he was amazingly effective.

The whole "crafty lefty" thing is a cliche, but it was him.

Also, as great as his record and his winning percentage looks, keep in mind that Stengel held him back. He'd spend the whole season rearranging the rotation so that Ford only faced the better teams, which kept Ford from pitching as much as he could have. It wasn't until Ralph Houk took over relatively later in Ford's career that he got a chance to pitch every fourth day against whatever team was up next.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing WF. I can't stand today's game where everybody throws 99.

Hermes and Splendid Splinter like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Kyle Hendricks is the last interesting pitcher to watch left.

Everybody else is a robot.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Looking at his 1960 and 1961 World Series numbers: combined record of 4-0, 32 innings, no runs. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Stengel had used him three times against the Pirates.

garrow and maumann like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another memory. The first Miller Lite commercial with Bob Uecker was built on the bit he told the crowd in the bar he was Whitey Ford. Uecker's punch line was "so I lied." The capper was after it went dark one of the fans says "hey, Whitey, weren't you a lefty?"

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Read the obits in The Times. Whitey was pissed at Stengel

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I have stengel’s autobiography on my shelf, “Casey at the Bat.” It’s been awhile, but I remember him giving some odd excuse as to why he didn’t use Ford in game one, which would have given him three starts.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Put Jim Palmer in bubble wrap.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted