1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Whitey Ford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 9, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The epitome of a crafty lefty. If there's a Copa or Danny's Hideaway in heaven there will a helluva party there tonite.

There are not many players left from that 1950s-mid-60s Yankee dynasty. Kubek and Richardson, I think Ralph Terry, maybe a few others.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Recommend his autobiography "Slick," which is in large part composed of anecdotes of Yankee roistering with celebrities of that era. I made this one up, but they're like "then one night in the men's room at Toots Shor's Mickey threw up on the Duke of Windsor."
    And of course the great story in "Ball Four" that on nights he was gonna pitch, Ford would set up a table with a checkered tablecloth and a wine bottle with a candle in it in the bullpen and have meatball subs sent out there.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seaver, Gibson and Ford in a matter of weeks. Damn.

maumann likes this.
  5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Add Brock a while back.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The only Hall of Famer I ever met. He did a signing at my local mall in the spring of 2001.

RIP.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's the same book from the 1980s, yeah, I recommend it too.

I always liked the story of how, when he was in the minors, there was an amusement park near the team hotel. It was getting near curfew, but Whitey decided to ride the Ferris Wheel one more time, figuring there's enough time for him to ride and get back before the curfew. Only the Ferris Wheel guy kept the wheel going and wouldn't let him off, and was ignoring Whitey yelling at him to stop the ride Finally, he gets off, runs back to the hotel, where Lefty O'Doul, his manager was waiting. O'Doul fines him $25 (or whatever the amount was) for missing curfew.

Many years later, O'Doul and Whitey are at a banquet, and O'Doul gets on the stage and tells the story of how he saw Whitey get on the ride, and paid the Ferris Wheel guy $5 to keep the wheel going past curfew and laughs his ass off. Whitey yells at him, and demands that O'Doul pay him back the $50 that he had been fined. Still laughing, O'Doul pays him back the $50. Whitey then says he got the last laugh, as he had only been fined $25.

RIP.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Al Kaline

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Some of the best stories in Ball Four were about Whitey doctoring the ball

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll be #cancelburied because of "Whitey" ...

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of my favorite lines in a column was by Jim Murray playing in some charity golf tournament in the '60s in a foursome of which Ford was also a member. "Whitey plays golf just the way he pitches. Keeps it low and away."

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You'd go about 150-12 with that rotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted