1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP White Shadow: Ken Howard dies at 71.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Mar 23, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remain bummed that the "Shower of Power" episode is unavailable due to the music rights.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Songbird, I can't find video of it, but my favorite was always "Charlie Brown" by the Coasters, with Coolidge dropping the sub-sub-sub-bass for the line Why's everybody always pickin' on me?

Also, you had to figure Ken Reeves was hittin' it with Sybil, but they couldn't very well show interracial intra-school love on network TV.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reeves: You got anything to drink? Slums make me thirsty.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Before there was Hamilton, there was 1776

Deskgrunt50, heyabbott and YankeeFan like this.
  5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My favorite show as a kid. How else could I learn about VD and angel dust as a 3rd grader? The episode where they scrimmaged the Globetrotters in the Carver gym thinking they were random guys from the car wash was my favorite, along with the one episode that focused on Goldstein.

6. DanOregon

The Golf Outing
    Coolidge "goes Hollywood" (Amazing how much the team was geeking out about Ed Asner)
    Salami and the uppers.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Salami and his cousin become "Repo Men"
    Hayward harbors a Soviet defector
    Carver teacher doubles as stripper

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was my favorite show as a kid. For years I was called Goldstein at the park where I played most of my pickup hoops.

I remember that in 4th grade, my class received scripts of TV shows and we were supposed to write reports about the episodes we selected. We got a couple of The White Shadow (which of course I chose to write about) and my teacher was horrified by the language.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Have all of your nicknames through the years been basketball based?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When you are a white kid playing basketball on courts which are 90% black, pretty much you get the nickname of every white player (Mullin, Goldstein, Lambier, etc.).

Webster was more niche to one coach because I was all defense/no offense, but I liked it more than it actually stuck.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Who will keep Salami out of trouble?

12. DanOregon

Miss Jensen has that covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted