1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Wayman Tisdale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Wayman Tisdale - bone cancer, amputation

He used to shoot hoop with Vern Fleming's kids down the street from my Indy house in the late 80s. Have never heard a bad word about him.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Heard Wayman passed away. No link yet. Anyone know anything?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11749960

Damn. Rip. Great college player, good pro and very good jazz musician.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

WOW.
    His smile and personality will be missed.
    RIP Mr. Tisdale

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

RIP to my fellow OU alum.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks. As someone whose mother has had an up-and-down battle with cancer, you learn never to get too optimistic. But I hadn't heard anything about his condition worsening after the amputation? Did I just miss it?

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Man, that must have been a fast-moving deal.

He was on with ESPN's crew sometime in Feb., I believe, during a game in which the Sooners retired his number, and appeared to be fine at that point. Much of the talk was about what an inspiration he was, and how he seemed to be recovering well.

What a shame. A great ballplayer. RIP.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Damn. Good guy.

One of the more entertaining things I've covered was an NCAA tournament game in Dallas in the mid-80s when Tisdale's shot at the buzzer bounced on the rim about 80 times before falling through to give the Sooners a victory over Karl Malone's Louisiana Tech team.

Dealt with him several times after that when he played in the league and he was always pleasant and courteous. A class act. RIP.

9. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I don't think so. I've lived in Tulsa all my life and can't recall hearing or reading anything recently indicating his condition was declining. I'm not able to tune in to any local coverage right now, but unless I've missed something, I imagine everybody here is shocked by his sudden passing.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

That was a great interview. I remember ESPN hyping it for a day or so, one of the few times I've made sure to stop what I'm doing and listen. Prayers for his family and loved ones. They don't make many like him.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to groove to his "Face to Face" today. RIP man. He had skillz. A true loss.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Man, this sucks. Loved him when he played for the Suns. Great energy and personality. Feel for his wife and kids ... RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted