1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Walt Hazzard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/basketball/view/20111118former_ucla_basketball_player_walt_hazzard_dies/srvc=home&position=recent

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the first great Bruins.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I remember him from Overbrook High School in West Philly...

RIP.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Didn't he at one time change his name to Abdul Rahman or something close to that?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yes, Mahdi Abdul-Rahman. A former highly respected SI correspondent who was close friends with Hazzard told him that if he ever wanted a major college coaching job, he better stick with Hazzard or he would never get hired. That was good advice.
    I covered Hazzard's teams at UCLA, he was not a good coach, but he could recruit like a mother.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. I wondered why he went back to Hazzard.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to an Overbrook High legend and a Philly great. It's been said that Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and Andre McCarter (another Overbrook High School legend) wouldn't have come to UCLA if it weren't for him.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

RIP Walt.

Draft saved Draft deleted