1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Walt Bellamy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colton, Nov 2, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not sure what your hangup is about the 1962 season. Other than Wilt (and Bellamy), who went nuts that season?

Yeah, teams averaged 118.8 points a game. But they did pretty much the same the whole decade. By 1970 --- Kareem's rookie year and the year of the great Knicks championship team --- teams averaged 116.7 ppg.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What possible fiddling-around could have been going on in the NBA of 1961-62? Ball filled with helium? Coaches making a gentlemen's pact not to defend aggressively? Baseball could wind the balls tighter to get more bang off the bat, but I'm wondering what rules tweaks or interpretations were different for that one NBA season? Anything?
    [/quote]

When and by how much has the lane been widened by the NBA. I called up a couple of pictures of Bellamy playing for the old Baltimore Bullets and the lane appeared to narrower, like the current NCAA. I always that the lanes being widened really hurt Bellamy.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The lane was widened from 12 to 16 feet in 1964-65, mainly because of Wilt.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That 1961-62 season was special but Bellamy had skills. Boom is right about the Knicks-Piston trade. The Knicks really wanted it to work but Red didn't know how to use both Reed and Bellamy on the court at the same time. They had similar skill sets. When the trade was made, it was controversial but Reed was younger and it made sense.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Bellamy should also be remembered as one of two people Jimmy Carter's brother Billy wanted to meet when Carter ran for President. The other was John Glenn. The story is that Glenn was disappointment but that Bellamy met Billy's expectations.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Knick trades in that era were astounding. Bellamy for Dave DeBuss, Cazzie Russell for John Lucas, Mike Riordan and Dave Stallworth for Earl Monroe.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jerry Lucas- not John

Riordan ended up putting up some pretty good numbers for Baltimore.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Loved Mike Riordan. I was a big fan of Jack Marin. Dude could shoot the lights out.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Riordan was a big fan favorite in New York. A lot of people were very sad to see him go.

Of course, Monroe was a Hall of Famer. So there's that.

10. heyabbott

Boom, yeah I knew it was Jerry Lucas not John. Brain fart

Drip,
    Riordan had a bar/restaurant in Annapolis for a long long time called Riordan's. Closed maybe 2 years ago. Very few people knew the basketball player owned it.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I knew about the restaurant. Never went there or heard anything bad about it.

12. heyabbott

I had gone there a couple of times. My dad went there once when Riordan was sitting at the bar. My dad went up to talk to him and Mike was so pleased someone recognized him. Very nice guy

Draft saved Draft deleted