1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP "Voice of Legion Field"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Re: The "Voice of Legion Field" in bad, bad shape

Best wishes to Simpson. I have many fond memories. I hope the
    ahh-LOOM-en-i of Alabama support him.

Other great Simpsonisms:

"Time is out, Alabama."

"Reception made by MIKE-ee-ull Vaughn."

"Attention fans outside of Legion Field. Umbrellas are not allowed inside Legion Field."

3. dixiehack

(Simpson giving out scores of other interest)

"United. States. Military. Academy. (two second pause) ARMY 10, Texas Aggies 3."

"First and ten Al-uh-bahma at the 50 yard line ... mid-field."

"Will ahl ahh-LOOM-en-i involved in homecoming ac-TIV-uh-tees please report to the side line, EE-meed-uh-let-lee."

And God help you if you were the poor schmuck from Andalusia or Fort Payne asked to "please see a polish offisuh at Gate 1" of Legion Field. You knew damn good and well right then that your car stereo had been liberated from its moorings and you were down a windshield to boot.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy's dad is a very good friend of Pepper's.
    He also needed a spotter to call the games and his last spotter was so bad, he needed a spotter too.
    And he once wanted to announce my name over the PA at a high school game for being there as a reporter; something he did whenever he found out a reporter was there. Watched him pitch a fit at the same game because the home team's honor guard wasn't at the flagpole 20 minutes BEFORE they were supposed to actually be there.
    That said, start the eulogies now, because it doesn't look good. Kidneys are shutting down

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

"Humphrey at right guard. Play failed to gain."

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I believe this is the first thread Slappy hasn't said something negative about Alabama. Am I right?

That said, I always looked forward to games at Legion Field. I bet he pitched a bitch the first time Sweet Home Alabama was played before the game, too.

7. dixiehack

Two years ago, I somehow found myself stringing a high school game at Legion Field. And sure enough, there was Simpson in the press box, going over the half-completed, hand scribbled roster of the home team and invoking every curse known to man and heaven upon them for their shoddy bookkeeping.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I never heard him do PA at an Alabama game.. I have seen my fair share of prep games with him doing PA...

Wait, I did see a Legion Field Bama game with him doing PA -- I think. Was UTEP vs. Bama at Legion Field in like 2002 or 2003. couldnt tell you a thing Pepper said.

9. dixiehack

Would have been 2001, Fraudchonie's first season.

http://ladyinred.net/utep01

Bama's last game at the Old Gray Lady was Mike Shula's debut in 2003, a shaky win against South Florida.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

FYI for those who are planning an obit, I've been told that Pepper was taken off life support today.

11. dixiehack

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Halloween night, 1987. Standing on the sideline, I heard this over and over, especially in the last 3 mins when Humphrey singlehandedly drove the team 75 yards to spoil an MSU upset bid.
    I've been to maybe 4 games at Legion Field, and I always liked the "at right guard" or "at left tackle" references.
    RIP, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted