1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Voice of God Roy Steele

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 29, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Roy Steele, longtime PA announcer for the A's, has died. Guess God needed to find his voice.

Roy Steele, the Oakland A's 'Voice of God,' dies

Sure, I love Bob Sheppard the Yankees Voice of God - two very different voices. But hearing Steele's voice (starts at 3:00 mark) echo off the concrete at the Coliseum in good years and bad is the soundtrack of my life.

Really hard to figure which I enjoyed more, his low key intros of the visiting team's batters as they came to the plate or hearing the joy in his voice when he'd say
    "Now batting, Rickey HENderson!"
    He was old school, not one of those cheerleaders who seem to have the mike at most arenas and stadiums. Loved the "Drive Home Safely" at the end of his speech. Also a nice and kind of sad note - Steele's catcher at the ceremony was longtime A's scoreboard operator Chester Farrow who died last week. Both Steele and Farrow worked for the A's from the late 60s. Steele retired due to illness in 2008, Farrow was working for them last year.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted