1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Vic Ziegel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

New York brownstones are notorious for non-smoking lung cancer cases. Usually radon gas.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP Mr. Ziegel.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awful news.

RIP to a great, great man.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is dreadful news. My condolences to his family and to the family of sportswriters whom Vic graced with his presence. There was never a better working companion in the business. He was also an astonishingly good writer.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I never met him -- in our business, there's often a New York school and an Everyplace Else school, and I was from there -- but I obviously have heard about Vic multiple times over the years, and there's absolutely no doubt he was my kind of newspaper person and my kind of guy.

Thoughts and prayers for his friends and family.

6. Harvey Araton

Harvey Araton New Member

When Vic -- whose work I worshipped growing up in New York -- was running the Daily News sports department and I was covering the NBA, he began to edit a back-page column for the paper's Sunday magazine. Write something, he told me. About what, I asked? Whatever, he said.
    Tennis being my new-found passion, I wrote about a recent dream I'd had where I found myself in the semifinals of the US Open. The other semifinalists were Jimmy Connors, Bernard King and a kid I'd grown up with in the West Brighton projects on Staten Island. In the dream, I was all agitated because I drew Connors, when I'd wanted to play one of the other guys. The tournament director tried to calm me down by explaining that somebody had to play Connors, the draw was the draw.
    The dream ended with me on court, warming up against Jimbo, nervous as hell but taking on the challenge. Later, it came to me what the dream was about: I was about to get engaged to my lovely wife Beth, I was frightened of change, and the three other players represented different times of my life -- the kid from Staten Island, King being the current star of the Knicks and Connors from the uncertain future. But at least, I reasoned, I was out there, going for it.
    Wrote the piece for Vic, printed a copy, dropped it on his desk, walked out of his office. Five minutes later, he calls me back in. Love it, he says, and I have the perfect head for it, too. What's that, I say? He scribbles it on the top of the first page and hands it to me: "A Basket Case," it said. Loved the wit and wisdom almost as much as the man. -- Harvey Araton

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Damn if Lupica didn't rise to the occasion:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/07/24/2010-07-24_we_lost_one_of_the_best_in_daily_news_vic_ziegel_a_character_and_a_gentleman.html

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was a great remembrance, like everything else here. Interesting that Lupica ended that piece with "he is survived by that business," I read an obit not long ago (forget whose) that said something like "he was preceded in death by the newspaper business."

9. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Really nice job by Lupica.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

BTW, those familiar with the NY guys of the '60s and '70s might want to keep a good thought for Maury Allen, who is in tough shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted