1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Veteran Buffalo pxp broadcaster Van Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 18, 2015.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And SJ's Broncos fans collectively shit their pants.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

An absolute legend. Great voice, great game call. Loved him doing Bills, or even "It's Academic" -- a high-school quiz show.

When I was first starting as a sports radio producer, we did this segment where you took famous calls and changed the outcome. People were calling in and doing great stuff. So, we tried it again a few months later and one of the other producers gets the idea to try a few play-by-play guys to see if they'll do it.

Miller's name comes up, with the idea of calling it so Scott Norwood makes the field goal to beat the Giants in the first of their four Super Bowls. No way we think he's going to do it. In fact, I'm worried he's going to send a hit squad after us. Not only does he do it, but it is just an awesome call of the top of his head.

I always remembered that great sense of humour as much as anything else.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

EF is spot on, he was a legend, even here in southern Ontario where we always watched a lot of Buffalo TV in the 70s. Will always remember listening to him call the Bills' comeback against Houston in the playoffs, a game I believe was blacked out. I believe he used to do Beat the Champ, a bowling show, too.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Anyone remember this trio?

[​IMG]

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Please tell me the Bills aren't considering moving the visitation to Toronto.

Sea Bass and RubberSoul1979 like this.
  7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It would draw a greater crowd than any of the games they played here. Of course, tickets probably wouldn't be $300.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten Van did UB football in the 1960s until they dropped it in 1970 or 1971 ... Stan Baron was the Canisius basketball p x p guy on WEBR for many years too.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The first local play-by-play broadcaster to be honored with the Pete Rozelle Award by the Pro Football Hall of Fame:
    Enshrinement Release » Miller Named 2004 Rozelle Award Winner

Generations of sports fans in WNY/northern PA/southern Ontario grew up listening to Van, whether it was Bills, Braves, Beat the Champ, or It's Academic. (To the last one, I'm proud to say that we won our match.)

From the AFL championship games to the Super Bowl run, Sundays meant "Fasten your seatbelts!" and Fandemonium. Those calls will last forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted